Thursday, January 24, 2013

WHY I TAKE SUCH A STRONG STANCE ON INCREASED GUN CONTROL

This was originally part of the post
 http://laladyrae.blogspot.com/2013/01/more-guns-keep-kids-safe-like-rapist.html

I take a real hard-line stance on gun control not because I personally am afraid for myself being shot.

I take a strong stance because the need for a gun really separates the men from the boys.

If you are a truly powerful person, and if you have truly faced real danger in your life and come back from it without fear, than you see the gun for what it is: a dangerous illusion of a safety and power.

There are plenty of people living in truly dangerous situations that could easily own guns and choose not to.

What the pro-gun people are actually saying is:  "I am afraid, and I cannot live without a gun.  There is nothing I believe in more than a gun."

And that is a belief that I want to really challenge, because that belief is making our society even weaker.  We need truly strong people right now that really understand true power.

And I believe anyone that willingly engages with me debate when I have thrown down the gauntlet actually WANTS me to kick their ass and destroy their argument.

I have something that is more powerful than a gun.  That person that is challenging me is just afraid that I am stupid.  So they have to observe me. See if I can live my principles and walk my talk.

They WANT me to walk my talk and prove it to them.  Because no person wants to live in fear.  They just think that is the best they can get.

So I let them continue to observe me shredding all of their lame attempts at argument.  And the relationship- whatever it is, from lover to facebook friend- can dance around that.

You pro gun people, you are willing to shoot someone to protect your possessions or body or someone else.

You are willing to shoot someone else dead, and you are prepared for it. You are anticipating it happening to such a degree that you become afraid the moment you think someone MIGHT take your guns away.

So you have the gun, to back up your words.  I only have my words and my actions.

So if you have any regard for me at all, I want you to understand that on this issue I find the need for a gun cowardly and fearful.

That is not why I take such a strong stance that I am willing to cut people out of my life, or push an explosive issue so that they will cut me out of their life.

I find the defense of current gun laws in the face  of such glaringly obvious statistics to be so ridiculous as to actually make me question the entire premise of my assessment of a person's ability to reason or think clearly.

You are afraid and scared.  That is okay.  Forcing the rest of us to live in your paranoid violent reality is not.

5 comments:

  1. You are betraying your hopelessly Americentric perspective again young lady. The Tutor and I spend 4 to 6 months every year dispensing primary medical care in Third World shite-holes populated with many folks who would absolutely love to brandish a firearm if given the opportunity.

    You are indeed correct about the Yankee though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People are people, the world over. I am just trying to say what I see and believe from my perspective. I know what happens here happens the world over. But it happens alot here. No one has every compared the data of gun violence totally per us and other countries. How do we rack up against nations in civil war? I think we are still much lower, but on some scale, this has become like random guerilla attacks, the kind we used to fear from "terrorists" And they don't have any demands. They aren't fighting for anything. That seems REALLY US AMerican to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is funny you calling me young lady :D I am at least 5 years old than you are, possibly ten :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a term of endearment.
      We are both 'young ladies' from the perspective of The Tutor - about whom the world revolves - though the 'lady' bit is a stretch for me.

      Delete
    2. I use Lady in the "of the night" sense lol... you could be Lady Flower? something? I loved your pic of the Tutor surrounded by girls.

      Delete