Thursday, December 6, 2012

POEM: NOMADS(1995)

NOMADS

In my grandmother’s
Twilight hours
Dreamt of
Dark dusty night:
A long journey
I walked alone.

I arrived
Cottage of my own sunset;
No light from the window,
No arms at the door.

Let myself in
Stirred ashes
Stoked fires
Made dinner.

Wept in silence
At the solitary hearth;
Shadow play
On my wrinkled hands
Reminded me
My body in youth:

Straight bones
Clean blood;
No stretch marks
No sag
Smooth skin.

Skyward curve
Of breasts and buttocks,
Before men
Before fear
Before (look away, say quickly in one breath)
Drugs, rape, pregnancies, pain.

Before a broken heart.

I had this dream
Before Nonny died.

Then a dawn came
My grandmother
Did not return from
Night.

I came back
From this Carnival
To this
Lush land (where silent snakes curve
deadly like
rivers
and my reflection lies
coiled in eyes
I’d rather forget;
I remembered why
I left
the moment I returned).

Here
I am a ghost;
I can remember
Before I was born.

Old Grandmothers,
I remember,
Walked Highlands at dawn,
Beaches at dusk.

I remember
A new country
A missionary’s life;
I remember
Boston streets
A wealthy Englishman’s wife;
I remember
White frame house
A poet and painter.

I must not forget
A candy maker
Whose hands
Lie folded
In my lap.

I remember
First Grandmother
Drank scotch,
Danced a jig,
Cursed First Grandfather.

I remember
What First Grandmother
Told her daughters;
I remember
First Grandfather
Never returned for long.

First Grandmother
Never told
Of lonely twilight
Lengthening
Into night,
And no fire kindled
At her last hearth.

My own grandmother
Whispered it sometimes
When she could find me;
And how rare that?
Me, whole,
Away from Circus;
I have wandered so far.

Her gnarled hands
Would grip mine
Like tree roots
Seeking earth;
Time to stop these
Generations of roaming,”
She’d say;
I have my
Hopes on you.”

Then she’d
Teach her crafts:
Candy-making and story-telling;
Different from those
Her grandmother taught her;
But, “Any craft will do,”
She’d warn me;
Something to exchange for
Welcome at another hearth,
Even a Tinker’s campfire.”

I’d look away
Wondering
If she knew
How many
Gypsy boys
My body nourished
Before I trusted
My own crafts.

I know why
Never my children
Cradled my arms;
I know why
Never I lay
Wrapped warm
In Highland Shepherd’s plaid:

Nomads, we
Whose hearts
Became brittle
When men failed
Firelight vigil;
Unprotected,
We learned
To keep warm
Alone.

Nomads, we
Who chase hearth fires
Of others;
Refuse to use
Broken bits
Of our own
Unforgiving souls
To kindle a spark,
Bring Grandfather back.

I drink old scotch,
And dance a jig;
I know how
To keep warm;
Still, I cry out
For Grandfather’s son
To return
Without shame.

I sleep with a new dream:
A twilight croft,
Two grandparents
Well wrapped
Lie warm.

Dusk deepens
Fires fade
Soon enough
Without a curse.

Final draft 20 December 1995

copyright

No comments:

Post a Comment